In this article, we have discussed what patients should do after rhinoplasty and how they can handle this process easier. We can examine this process in two headlines; Cast Removal Day and After Removing the Cast.
The patient who had rhinoplasty is free to go her/his home after staying one night at the hospital and is invited to our clinic after 7 – 10 days from the operation to have cast and splint removal.
Cast Removal Day
This is the process that patients are most afraid of. In fact, these fears are very unnecessary. With the help of new generation silicon splints which are very elastic and are designed in line with the nose structure, removing splints is very painless.
The thermoplastic splint on the nose is removed without any pain with the help of its adhesive structure.
The patient’s blood pressure may drop due to excitement that occurs when the patient thinks about how she/he will look on the mirror. To prevent this condition, the patient should come to cast removal day with a full stomach. The patient may take a shower one day before or in the morning of the cast removal day that the cast will come out much easier.
After Removing the Cast
We do not need any bandages after removing the cast. However, some of our colleagues are using bandages. In this case, the patient must follow the instructions of the Doctor.
The patient, who is having cast removal, passes through the mirror after the adhesives on the nose are cleaned. This is the most exciting part. The patient, aware of their swelling, knows that most of the swelling will go away in 2 months. However, the patient who is unaware of the swelling and thinks that the result can be seen immediately, may fall into the void after seeing swelling on the face. Here the psychological dimension begins. After the nose surgery, the brain tends to find strange seeing the new face in front of the mirror. This is a normal process and can last up to 2-3 weeks. Patient relatives get used to this change process more quickly than the patient itself. This process is overcome with the support of our clinic psychologist and support of patients’ relatives.
The patient, who has cast and splint removal, should know that there will be some swelling on the nose and face. Depending on the skin’s quality, lubrication, acne or redness may appear on the surface of the skin. This can be eliminated in a short time using cleaning soap and lotion which are suitable for the skin type.
The delicate process that you need to be aware of after removing cast is 2 months. For a healthy healing, there should not be any strike or trauma at that period. Recommended massages should be done effectively and medicines should be used regularly. After 2 months, it is seen that most of the swelling is gone. However, it should not be forgotten that the result comes out after minimum 1 year.
It is important to attend 2 month and 1 year follow up appointments to have a healthy and complete rhinoplasty process. Let’s deep dive more “After Rhinoplasty” topic.
Things to Consider After Rhinoplasty
Now, we will be sharing with you how the after-rhinoplasty process progresses and what you need to pay attention to in this process. Recovery after rhinoplasty is a process that needs attention. We can start to explain how you should go through this process.
Recovery Process After Rhinoplasty
Recovery after rhinoplasty is a process that takes up to 1 year after surgery. This time may long up to 2 years. We can divide this process into 3 postoperative early, middle and late periods. The early period is the period that covers the first week after surgery. The middle period starts from the 7th day and lasts until the 2nd month. The late period also covers the period from the 2nd month to 1 year. Most of the recovery is completed from the 2nd month. However, this situation may vary from patient to patient.
What should be considered after rhinoplasty?
In this part of our article, we will explain step by step the processes you should pay attention to after surgery.
Things to Consider Immediately After Surgery
- The first thing you should pay attention to after the surgery is your lying position. After the operation, you will lie with your head up. You should not try to lie down on your face. This position is important in order not to increase your swelling.
- Ice should be applied until discharged.
- Water should be drunk 6 hours after the operation. Soup and soft foods should be preferred.
Things to Consider After Discharge
- At home, you should put a pillow / blanket behind your head and sleep in a sitting position for 1 week until your splint is removed.
- You can take a shower, you can wash your hair by throwing it back as a hairdresser. Water should not come into contact with the face area.
- Consuming green tea and parsley will help your edema go down quickly.
- You should use your medication regularly.
Things to Consider After Removing Cast
- The moisturizing function of the nose comes back 1 month after the operation. That’s why you should use medicine for 2 months after your splint and tampon are removed. The first is the “Nasal Spray” (6 times a day) and the other is “Pomade” (just before going to bed at night). I say nasal spray 6 times a day, but this is at least 6 times.
- You should touch your nose softly. You can make up. You can clean it well in the shower. Your touches should be upwards.
- Blowing, straining, coughing, bending-up, lifting or carrying a heavy load may increase your risk of bleeding. You should not do these movements unless they are told.
- You should not wear glasses for 2 months. There is no harm in sunbathing, swimming or swimming. Don’t just jump into the water.
- You should stay away from sports such as yoga, pilates and fitness for 8-10 weeks.
- You should brush your teeth gently with a soft toothbrush.
- Your controls are on the 2nd and 12th months. You should not miss your control days.
What to Eat After Nose Surgery?
- You should consume soft foods after nose surgery.
- You should stay away from extremely hot or cold foods.
- While feeding after nasal surgery, you should not make excessive chewing movements for a certain period of time. However, you should not chew gum.
- You should stay away from excessively salty foods.
- After rhinoplasty, you should stay away from foods that cause gas for a certain period of time, and you should not consume soda.
- Since it has a positive effect on the healing process of wounds, you should include foods containing protein and vitamin C in your diet after nose surgery.
- As an individual, you should stay away from foods that you are allergic to.
- You should not eat spicy foods for a certain period of time while feeding after rhinoplasty.
Is smoking allowed after rhinoplasty?
Smoking should definitely be quitted before rhinoplasty surgery. Smoking affects the recovery after nose surgery very badly and causes the healing to be disrupted. Therefore, smoking should be avoided before and after nasal surgery, and it should be avoided from smoking areas to prevent passive smoking.
Is it possible to do sports after rhinoplasty?
Sports are not allowed for 6 weeks after the operation. After the 6th week, small exercises such as walking can be done. For sports such as football and basketball that require close contact, patients are recommended to wear a mask or do it after they have recovered well. Activities such as swimming and gym can be started after the 8th week. However, this also varies depending on the patient and the details of the surgery performed.