Rhinoplasty is undoubtedly one of the surgical interventions where you can experience the biggest change in terms of physically. There is a recovery period for rhinoplasty. So, patients are generally asking How long does it take to recover from a rhinoplasty? In this article, we will talk about the month-by-month process of Rhinoplasty which lasts up to 1 year.
Just Before The Rhinoplasty:
After detailed research, you find the best plastic surgeon for yourself and meet to have rhinoplasty because of your aesthetical and functional problems. You are going to have a detailed examination. During the detailed examination, simulations are performed along with the other examinations, and in line with the patient’s expectations, surgical planning is performed. Until the date of surgery, blood tests, talking with the anesthesiologist, and other remaining procedures are completed. Finally, you will be ready for the surgery.
The Operation Day:
Rhinoplasty operation takes 1-4 hours depending on the structure of your nose and the surgical plan. As the patient is put to sleep, awakened, and recovered by the anesthesia team, the time to be transferred to the room may be longer. At the end of the surgery, silicon tampons can be placed inside the nose, as well as covering procedures such as bandages and plaster (cast) outside your nose.
7 Days After Rhinoplasty: Cast Removal Day
- Do not worry that there are some swelling and color changes in the nose, eyes, and upper lip after the dressings are removed. This is a natural thing and usually disappears within 2-3 weeks. Although the swelling will disappear significantly in 2-3 weeks, it will take at least a few months to fully recover after rhinoplasty.
- After removing the bandage or plaster on your nose, the skin on your nose can be gently cleaned with mild soap or Vaseline-based skin care lotions. During cleaning the nose should be treated gently and carefully.
- Makeup can be applied after removing the cast.
- You should avoid long conversations and excessive facial movements such as laughter the first 10-14 days after nose surgery.
- You should rest more than usual. You should avoid activities that require spending power, such as sexual intercourse, for 15 days.
- Wear clothes buttoned up from the front or back for 2 weeks after the nose surgery. You should stay away from t-shirts or turtle-neck sweaters that may be narrow over the head.
- Reducing salt consumption in the 1 month period after the surgery will shorten the time that your swelling will subside from the body.
- You should not consume caffeine, fizzy drinks, and herbal teas in the 1 month period after the operation.
- You can swim 1 month after surgery.
2 Months After Rhinoplasty: Renewal Period
- You should protect your facial area with a 50-factor sunscreen to prevent your bruises from becoming permanent after the surgery. (8-12 weeks)
- Our patients who had surgery for the first time should stay away from sun and sunbath for 8 weeks and patients who had revision surgery for 12 weeks.
- You should not wear prescription glasses or sunglasses for at least 8 weeks.
- You should stay away from sports such as yoga, pilates, and fitness for 8-10 weeks.
1 Year After Rhinoplasty: The New Beginning
After the rhinoplasty month by month change process is completed in 1 year on average. Most of your swelling on the face seen on the day of the cast removal disappears after 2-3 weeks. 80% of your swelling in the nose is distributed in 2 months. The remaining swellings spread over 1 year. However, it should not be forgotten that every blow taken during the healing process and cigarette hookah use negatively affects and prolongs the recovery process.
Recommendations for faster recovery from a rhinoplasty:
- After nose surgery blowing, pushing, coughing, bending down, lifting, or carrying a heavy load may increase your risk of bleeding. Until you are told, you should avoid doing these movements.
- You should avoid eating foods that require effort, strength, and long chewing after your surgery until allowed. (For example, avoid eating apples and carrots by biting.)
- You can wear contact lenses 2-3 days after the operation.
- The nose plaster (cast) will remain on the nose for 5-10 days and will be removed by your doctor. You should never manipulate the cast. After this time, the cast is removed and you see your new nose for the first time.
- You can wash your face with cold water. Wetting your cast with hot water will damage it.
In this blog, we aimed to answer How long does it take to recover from a rhinoplasty? The above pictures and videos may help you to answer this question visually. If you have any further questions or want to get more information, you may reach TAŞ Aesthetic Surgery Clinic.